Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Self Portraits

A vast majority of my work has been self-portraits in different forms. Self-portraits are very intimidating, as its a direct reflection of how you view yourself and the world around you. By creating one, you let viewers into your own personal world and mind. However, self-portraits are one of the strongest ways an artist can express and reflect how they feel about specific things. I believe that all art is truly beautiful, and creating art depicting myself has had a vast impact on my self-image. Some of my art has dealt with personal healing and overcoming things in my past. Which is why I gravitated quite heavily to this as working through internal conflicts or things you have thought to move on from can feel quite isolated. Making self portraits creates a safe place for the artist while they can still be vulnerable.

Art can be used as a coping mechanism, and can be an outlet for people to heal emotionally and grasp closure. The way I see it, creating multiple self-portraits has connected my mind to my body, forcing me to acknowledge things I have been through in a healthy, creative way. I do this often without initially realizing it. By creating about my experiences and the impact they have had on me, I can freely talk and share how they have affected me with zero judgement, in a personal way.  I’ve created mirrors which I can reflect upon myself, my personal experiences, and how I want to learn and heal from them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello !

Assignment 1

 Here are some sketches I have done in my drawing 2 class. For assignment 1, I drew the orange and the bigger Portrait. I found the orange q...